Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

CONFESSIONS: DRINKING LIKE ITS 2007



{via}

I have a confession to make: I can't drink like I used to. I went out with some friends the other night and only had 3 drinks over a 3 hour period (and a hearty dinner before that) and it completely took me out the next day. Since I didn't drink a lot I didn't feel sick or wake up with a horrible headache, I just felt overly exhausted. To the point where I took naps throughout the day. I would get up to eat, tried some caffiene, and a delicious smoothie,  but then would have to sleep due to feeling so tired. Needless to say, I felt like I wasted a perfect weekend day by sleeping all freaking day! I really dislike wasting my weekend inside and being unproductive, especially when I had so many things I wanted/needed to do.

Sometimes I look back and wonder how in the hell did I drink so much in college? Of course I was a few years younger, but not that much has changed, right? In 2007 I was a freshman and moved to a party school that was 500 miles away from home. I was all about being independent (I had strict parents) and having a true college experience. So I drank, and I drank heavily. Even though I wasn't in a sorority, I attended a lot of frat parties with friends. I drank two-four nights a week, and could still function for the most part. Of course I had the occasional hangover, but I wasn't drained like I how I get now. In fact if you would have told my 2007 self that I can't have three drinks without getting buzzed and it effecting me the next day, she would probably be embarrassed.

The post graduate lifestyle of responsibilities and working 40+ hour weeks means I can no longer keep up with that lifestyle. I like to use my free time (and money) wisely instead of wasting it and getting "fucked up" all the time. But after moving away from San Diego for a while, I do see that part of the San Diego lifestyle is the acceptability of excessive social drinking. I know too many people who drink a good amount during the work week, who are obliterated during the weekend, and who have a DUI or two. Its not frowned on here, its the norm. There are too many adults who have not grown up because they are stuck in this lifestyle and a community that tells them its okay. But thats a conversion for another day. I'll stick to not going out as much and keeping my drinks limited when I do. In the meantime I am planning on being active tomorrow after all of this sleep today!

No comments:

Post a Comment