Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

CAREER TALK: MY FIVE YEAR PLAN



I've never been the type of person that considered myself "career-focused". I always wanted a job/position that I enjoyed, but didn't dominate the rest of my life. I know some people eat, breathe, and sleep work. They don't mind putting in endless hours and having their whole life revolved around their job. And they think about jumping to the next position and not stopping until they see themselves at the top of the ladder. I've always respected those people, but never thought I could ever be like that. I'm very true to my Libra ways in that I like my life to be balanced in every aspect.  Too much of one thing in my life definitely throws me off, especially work.

I've been at my new job now for not even a month and a half yet, and I'm already thinking whats next in my career. Did I just say that? I thought being back in this city and having a job that pays me a little more would allow to feel satisfied. And yet I am thinking about where I see myself in a few years from now and what I need to do get there. What type of job do I want? How much money would I like to make? What type of experience do I need? What other licenses or certificates should I get? These are just a few questions that I have been asking myself and researching. And then I thought to myself, I am that career-focused person that I said I could never be. I mean seriously who thinks that after being at their new job for only six weeks. And you know what, I enjoy being this way. Its not just my job but myself over all. I think I've entered this state in my life of improving myself in every way possible, and it feels damn good.

So what are my plans exactly? I mean I am not completely sure even though I have my ideas. So far I am thinking of using my experience and registration to eventually end up in the occupational health and safety field. Honestly, its really not too different from what I am doing now. Actually my position now will give me great experience for the health & safety field. There are just a different set of laws I need to learn. I do not want to be on the regulatory side like I have in the past, but I would like to work for an agency or company as a safety analyst or safety officer to make sure they are in compliance for inspections.  For the most part this career pays more and in the salary range that I wish to be making. And overall there seems to be more jobs in this field that I could apply to. I think it would be a smart and not so difficult career move. But of course there is still research to be done. Right now, I will continue my research as I still continue to learn the ins and outs of my current position.

No comments:

Post a Comment